Monday, November 29, 2010

Language exchange

Nora Explora... Language exchange

The University of Valencia does a really good job of providing opportunities for language and cultural exchanges. Last  week I met a student from the university; he wants to study at Cambridge in England next year, and I want to learn valenciano from native speakers. We got in touch through a facebook group set up by the university, then met up and talked for two hours, first in English and then in valenciano, and it was so much fun! I really appreciate people who value languages and want to learn as much as I do. It seems like everyone in Spain wants to learn English, so parents send their children to special English-speaking schools and university students look for as many opportunities to practice as possible. It's flattering that so many people are eager to speak in English with me, but it makes me realize that it's not uncommon for people to speak three or four languages. I only speak two!

However, my valenciano is getting much better. I can form basic sentences in present and simple past tenses, and since most words are so similar to Spanish, I can often guess vocabulary words in valenciano. Aside from the initial confusion of why I want to learn valenciano if I'll never be able to use it after I leave in June, everyone I've met has been very impressed and excited that I'm learning valenciano. Many people who live in towns around Valencia grow up speaking valenciano as their first language and they speak it with their families at home, so the language a big source of regional pride.

As a foreigner, I think that learning valenciano is one way for me to show respect and interest in Valencia's culture. I finally feel like I've found an activity that truly satisfies the Fulbright program's goal: to promote cultural understanding. Aside from the 16 hours I spend teaching English, my year in Spain can be used in pretty much any way that I choose. I've sort of made studying valenciano one of my main goals for this year, especially because it's such a great way for me to meet Valencians and to start conversations. Other than the student I met this past week, I've been meeting weekly with another Valencian who teaches me valenciano in exchange for my helping him with English, and every morning I walk from the train station to my school with another teacher who is a native valenciano speaker. With all of these people, mostly we just talk about cultural differences and our thoughts and opinions, and it makes for the best kind of cultural exchange, in my opinion.

Gracies per llegir el meu blog!
(that would be my guess for how to say "Thanks for reading my blog!")

No comments:

Post a Comment