Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nürnberg

This past weekend that I spent in Nurnberg was one of the best trips that I've taken all year. I went to visit my dad's cousin and her daughters, who are about my age. It was like discovering long-lost family! They were so generous to welcome me into their home and so thoughtful to show me all around the city, and I had a great time. Highlights included a walking tour that ended with a beautiful view of the city from the castle; hearing the philharmonic orchestra perform in the Meistersingerhalle theater; walking with their sweet old dog, Flinn, through the various parks nearby; visiting a traditional biergarten in the city on Saturday night; and eating typical foods like white asparagus, soft pretzels, and sauerkraut. I also enjoyed looking at old family photo albums, learning about the huge extent of the Deeg family tree, and seeing a color picture of Opa before he had white hair!! hehe. Most of my trips this year have been about visiting places, so it was really neat to travel with the purpose of meeting not just people, but family!

1 comment: