(I'm home!! Actually, I got home to Indiana a few days ago, and although I wrote this post when I was still in Valencia over a week ago, I haven't gotten around to posting it til now... oops. One last Spain-related post to come.)
Things I'll miss about Valencia:
- Bilingualism (and plurilingualism)
- Paella, orxata, olive oil
- Parks and park culture
- The shopping
- La huerta ("garden") - fresh fruits and vegetables
- Public transportation
- Good wine at cheap prices
- Beaches and palm trees
Things I look forward to in America:
- Costco, Target, Kohl's
- Being a native speaker of the majority language
- T-shirts, sweatshirts, flip-flops
- Houses, carpet, and yards
- Drinking fountains
Things I've learned (or in some cases, re-learned):
- Valenciano. And not just the Valencian language, but all the traditions, celebrations, foods, and customs that make Valencia a unique place. In the process of learning the language, I also met a lot of wonderful people.
- To travel. Who knew there was so much to learn: how to compare prices and modes of transportation, how to utilize the tourist information office, how to choose what sights are worth seeing and to plan an itinerary, etc.
- To cook. Well, I've mostly made a lot of cookies (all in the name of representing the best of America!), but cooking in another country is always a challenge, and I'm proud of my work, especially making fideuá (a seafood macaroni dish) and helping with Thanksgiving dinner.
- Independence. That's a big word, but this is the first time I've actually begun to enjoy traveling and spending time by myself. I feel really self-sufficient after this year.
- Trust. Having just said that I feel self-sufficient, there's nothing like moving to a foreign country to remind you how much we all need to trust and depend on each other… and how much goodness you can discover in people. I'm absolutely in awe of how much some people here have done for this American girl who wandered into Valencia nine months ago.
- Interpersonal and intercultural communication. This is the big one. Learning to talk to and get along with people in all different situations is probably one of the best skills that you can practice in life. I've had a lot of practice this year.
Beautifully written, Nora. Welcome home!
ReplyDeletecome back!!!!!! i miss yelling "NORAAAA" I think ill do it home alone, but pepita might judge me. her son already came up to harass me about our shower STILL leaking.
ReplyDeleteyay interpersonal communication ;)
great blog nora, give target dos besos for me