Written on the back of the necklace I've worn nearly every day since arriving in Spain, this phrase has been an appropriate theme for my time abroad. Taken literally, it's true that travel between Indianapolis and Valencia takes about 24 hours in car, airplane, taxi, bus, metro. (**The majority of this post was written in the Atlanta airport, near the end of my journey home.) Taken more figuratively, the truth is that this year has not been easy, but it's been more meaningful and transformative than anything else I've ever done.
![]() |
| "Come back soon"–my surprise goodbye party with the orchestra |
In nine months, I've visited over 25 different cities in five different countries. I loved every single one. But places are just places, and it's the people who make them special. Here's a list (in alphabetical order) of my highlights from the year and their significance:
- Alcañil with the orchestra - Funny, and wonderful, how a combination of coincidence and luck leads us into the most interesting situations.
- Amsterdam with my Fulbright girls - We got to prove what expert international travelers we've become.
- Barcelona with Leigh - Who knew that all that work in our Cultures of Spain class would pay off three years later.
- Cuenca with Mireia and her family - They've been my family in Spain, and I loved being included in all their family activities and trips.
- León with my host family - Five years after a tearful goodbye at the end of my first summer in Spain, I was reunited with my wonderful host family, and we had so much fun.
- London with Chelsea - As an English Lit major, I felt like my trip to London - with one of my favorite travel buddies - was a dream come true.
- Nürnberg with Brigitte and her daughters - What an amazing experience to meet more Deeg relatives and to have an instant family and natural friends.
- Pamplona with the Spain Fulbrighters - How far we'd all come since orientation just six months before.
And, of course, Valencia, which will always have a very special place in my heart. This year wasn't just a study abroad; I was actually living in Valencia, as evidenced by my Spanish identification card, my bank account, my monthly metro card, and my apartment contract… all of which I had to fight for. No shortcuts. But it was so worth it.
* * * * *
Now, on to new adventures! Stay tuned for Nora the Explorer's next challenge: Teach for America in California!

I love the quote! so true and im glad you could relate and reflect in so many ways!
ReplyDelete